Sunday, September 25, 2005

Freshers' Party at ENSTA

I think it has taken me at least 24 hours to recover from Friday night's party at l'Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Techniques Avancées. ENSTA is much bigger than Télécom Paris, and it seems a lot cooler too! The students appeared to have commandeered much of the main building, covering all the walls with colourful home-made drapes, and turning class rooms into discos. Drinks were quite cheap (you could get spirits for 2 or 3 tokens, and 11 tokens cost E8,00), and it was packed!
I went with Dan, Lieven, Rupert, Tom and Joffre, and we met up with all Joffre's Spanish friends at Cité Université, where we had a rather average dinner, followed by wine on one of the university's lawns. We were rather amused to be moved on by a security guard at 10.30pm, from when it apparently became interdit to sit on that particular lawn. So we moved onto the park behind the university buildings and continued to drink our wine. The gathering was rather eclectic, and half a dozen nationalities were represented, prevalent amongst which was Spanish. Conversations were mostly conducted in French, a rule which was being enforced rather vigorously by Spanish Mark. Just after 11pm, we caught the bus to the ENSTA, in the south-west of the city.
I don't remember a huge amount about the party, apart from Lieven's idea that we should all go to the Eiffel Tower afterwards (which was dismissed due to extreme tiredness, I think), and bumping into Thierry, the President of the BDE (students' union) and his mate, who was trying to convince Dan and I to go to rugby training on Monday!
The party finished at about 5am, which was slightly inconvenient, as we had to wait until about 5.45 for the first Metro!
The next day, when I awoke at 4.30pm I felt shit, and deserved to, since I had the best part of a bottle of "Eurowine" (the cheapest I could find!), in addition to several spirits and a beer or two. Once I had had a couple of aspirin and a shower, I went shopping at Italie 2, the local shopping centre, where I bought some toys: a mouse, and a microphone for the computer. I have heard about this cheap international 'phone service called Skype that I am currently trying to get to work.

1 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

shit man, i was well following your stuff when you were finding yer bearings an all, but now i think youve lost the fucking plot - how could you be pissed after one bottle of "Euro wine" - is it 40%???? i want some now!!! either you be spinning me a yarn man, or you be a lite-weight. ive never tried this shite anyway - all european wine is poo - best choice you made was on wednesday with the belgian beer - now theres class in a glass!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home